Monday, January 4, 2010

No Cleavage Allowed

Motherhood is full of humor. There's the hilarious faces that only a toddler can make or the occasional out of the blue comment that send you bending over in laughter. I love it when my 2-year-old announces that she's passed gas in front of everyone. I love how my daughter, like most toddlers, so easily speaks her mind. She points out the obvious and doesn't adhere to the typical social norms. That's one great thing about children. There are no limitations.

I found this to be even more true while reading See Mom Run. While reading these side-splitting essays, I started to think about my own humorous stories from motherhood. It seems that my most outrageous stories come from my daughter's music class. I remember one particular class when one of the students had a guest attend.

Our music class is usually set-up in a circle with every child sitting on the parents lap as we sing songs and play instruments. The kids are usually able to walk around, dance and explore the room. Well on this one particular day there was a very interesting guest and I've been racking my brain to figure out how I could describe her. But, only two words come to mind: large chest! It was hard not to notice her because she was wearing a pretty revealing shirt that revealed nothing but cleavage. So, while all the adults were trying not to focus on the elephant in the room, my daughter walks right over to her.

What's even more embarrassing is that she stares directly at her chest, points, looks at me and says, "What's that mommy?" I immediately look at my husband while the two of us desperately try to hold in our laughter. I politely look at the woman, apologizing profusely while pulling my daughter to my side. Well, let's just say this exact scene happened three more times. I know by the fourth time, the woman didn't want my daughter near her. But, all I could keep thinking was there ought to be a sign posted on the door of the music class that says, "No Cleavage Allowed!"

5 comments:

April said...

You gotta love a kid's honesty!

Lisa Hanneman said...

My 16 month old has been obsessed with belly buttons and likes to say "button," pull up other people's shirts, and then point out their belly buttons.

The other day I was sitting next to him and my scoop neck top came down to reveal a bit of cleavage. Imagine his excitement when he stuck his finger in it and exclaimed "button!" Even accidental cleavage can be too much.

Lisa Hanneman said...

My toddler is currently obsessed with belly buttons. His favorite game includes going up to someone to pull up their shirt, stick his finger in their belly button, and yell "button!"

The other day I was playing with him on the floor and leaned over, accidentally revealing the tiniest amount of cleavage. Imagine his excitement when he proudly thrust his finger in and exclaimed "Button!" Gotta love inappropriate cleavage.

Julie said...

total innocence! Love it!

Thomas said...

This is fantastic!