Thursday, October 30, 2008

What's been on my mind lately...

So, I haven't posted anything in a few weeks. Things have really been busy and half the time, I'm worrying about just making sure I haven't forgotten anything. But, there have been some pressing things on my mind that are intertwined and point to a single topic: the future.

Here they are in order of importance:

1. My daughter

2. The election

3. Jennifer Hudson tragedy


My daughter
A few weeks ago, I took my daughter to her weekly music class. We both love it! hehe! J During part of the music class, all of the kids sit down while music is playing in the background and they get a chance to play their own instruments. That particular day, we were sitting next to a little boy who is quite boisterous. He repeatedly kept trying to swat at Jada and even attempted to do a sumersault on top of her. After the third attempt to knock my daughter down, I couldn't take it anymore. I literally had to stop myself from yanking this kid and telling him to stay away. And, Jada just looked at me as if to say, "Why is this kid so mean." I was thinking the same thing.


The election
All I have to say is let's elect a president already! I can feel my blood pressure rising as I think about it. And, I'm actually grateful for the times when I can turn off the news, log off of my computer and not think about it. The election has taken over our household...in a good way. It's almost like the balance between a more perfect and a less perfect America is predicated on what happens on November 4th. I even read an article on Huffington Post about African-American women who have increased hypertension directly related to the election.

Jennifer Hudson
My heart just broke when I heard that three of her family members had been brutally killed. All I could do was pray and ask, “Why?” How could another human being take three lives like that? I know that life is hard. I know the economy is in the pits, but life is not THAT bad! And, more than anything, I felt for Jennifer and her family because their sense of security was gone.


It seems as if a new era is beginning in this country. Our world is not as safe as it used to be. Lives are being lost every day. There are bullies who sometimes just want to push you down and other times actually take your life. We are about to elect either the first African-American president or the first female vice-president. Politics has taken over our community’s and people are now more involved than ever. Their involved because so much is at stake. I get the feeling that, somehow, people just want to go back to the days when life was simpler. We may not have had all of the gadgets and super speed internet, but we didn’t worry about whether or not we were safe in our homes and kids treated each other well because they were disciplined well.

I know we can’t go back, but as we progress toward the future, I hope we can bring some of our past ideals with us.

4 comments:

Elizabeth L. said...

Oh, I hate when there is one trouble maker in a class. You should definitely talk to your teacher (are you with Marsha or Irene?) and they can find a way to deal with it so Jada doesn't worry about going to class. I hope you are enjoying classes otherwise!

Angel Burgess said...

Hey J! I feel you on bringing back the days of yesterday. I remember a time when you could have SNATCHED that little boy up. Great blog!!

Anonymous said...

Hey
Just writing a note! I am so glad the election is over too! I am a conservative gal but............I am putting my trust in Obama and respect him! I hope that he respects my conservative views too. We will see! Jennifer must be having such a hard time! I really just hope she is doing ok! She loved her mama and I am sure she misses her deeply! Great read! I will stop by soon! Elizabeth Norton
Www.motherhoodavenue.com

jamster said...

Good blog!